Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Hanna and Sophia McCormick


It is hard to think of what to write that will not sound cliche at such time as this, having babies and all. But, I suppose that the way it all came together is anything but cliche. I woke up that September 16h at 4:30am, to wake up my boys for school. One of them unfortunately missed the bus and I so had to drive him to school and got back to the orphanage at around 7:30am. I still had a bunch of things to get done in the office: leave reports written for the upcoming hearings, update the director's agenda among other things. I had also scheduled to take my car into the shop where I would then get picked up by a friend of mine who was leaving on the same flight to Houston at noon. I managed to get everything in order, dropped of my car and was on my way. Andrea wasn't due for another two weeks and I was excited to see her and relax a little. I arrived in Houston uneventfully and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of people there. As I proceeded to my gate I decided to send my brother a random text message just to say hello. It went through and I immediately got this response: "Hey! I heard Andrea's water broke! Are you there yet?" No, I was not there yet, nor had I heard that her water had broke! In that moment I texted my mother-in-law who confirmed that they were at the hospital scheduling a C-Section because her water had indeed broken. There was nothing I could do, but did I ever start to think.

Looking back it seems a little crazy, but it didn't even pass through my mind that I would not make it in time. I got off the plane where my brother-in-law was waiting for me outside. Getting into the car my father-in-law (who is a physician) called and explained that the babies were breached and they had scheduled a C-Section for 8:00 pm. It was 7:15pm. I arrived at the hospital at 7:35 and saw my sweet wife laying in a hospital bed. Promptly, at 8:00pm she was wheeled away for the epidural and 10 minutes later I was in the operating room witnessing the most incredible sequence of events. First was Hanna. She's beautiful. When they pulled out Sophia, it really hit me that there were TWO little humans that were now my daughters in this world. As the nurse's roughly cleaned them off and weighed them, taking their footprint among other things, I couldn't say anything. I was in shock at the beauty of it all. We spent the next 4 days in the hospital and thankfully, my three baby girls are happy and healthy and here with me.

There have been many times where I just feel like having one baby would just be boring....I know that sounds crazy to say, but I am so thankful for these gifts. I know that this is our portion and I am so grateful. They are the most amazing little beings and it is a gift from God that I get to call them mine.


(Those are honestly them!...I did not download this from the internet...)

No comments :

Post a Comment